ONLINE via Zoom
Saturdays once a month | 3:00-4:00 PM | Adults
CLICK FOR ZOOM LINK for meeting each month.
Join us for the Romance Book Club! We try and read as many romance genres as we can, sharing our thoughts and expanding our romance reading experience. As long as it has a happily ever after, it’s fair game.
Typically each month we choose the book for the following month.
November Book Choice
We will be reading The Matzah Ball by Jean Meltzer
Rachel Rubenstein-Goldblatt is a nice Jewish girl with a shameful secret: she loves Christmas. For a decade she’s hidden her career as a Christmas romance novelist from her family. Her talent has made her a bestseller even as her chronic illness has always kept the kind of love she writes about out of reach.
But when her diversity-conscious publisher insists she write a Hanukkah romance, her well of inspiration suddenly runs dry. Hanukkah’s not magical. It’s not merry. It’s not Christmas. Desperate not to lose her contract, Rachel’s determined to find her muse at the Matzah Ball, a Jewish music celebration on the last night of Hanukkah, even if it means working with her summer camp archenemy—Jacob Greenberg.
Though Rachel and Jacob haven’t seen each other since they were kids, their grudge still glows brighter than a menorah. But as they spend more time together, Rachel finds herself drawn to Hanukkah—and Jacob—in a way she never expected. Maybe this holiday of lights will be the spark she needed to set her heart ablaze.
Catalog link for print
Hoopla Digital (e-audiobook)
CWMARS Overdrive link (e-book) (also available from other MA library networks, ask a librarian for help!)
See previous group book choices below the group guidelines – scroll down.
Our Romance collection librarian will tell you all about exciting additions to the collection, and we’ll get your input on what you’d like to see more of and what we should read.
One Saturday a month, 3-4 pm, online via Zoom. Register if you’d like to be added to our email list, but no registration is required – just join us at the Zoom link, above. For adults 18+.
Please email Elizabeth McKinstry at email@example.com or Anna Mickelsen at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, or call either one of us at 413-263-6828.
The book group will meet monthly via zoom to discuss books in the romance genre. Our definition of romance includes both HEA (Happily Ever After) and HFN (Happy For Now) endings. We will discuss what we read on our own, talk about forthcoming titles, and also pick books to read as a group, either voting on titles prepared by group leaders or taking turns selecting titles.
This book group will strive to be a safe and inclusive space. Racist and homophobic remarks will not be tolerated, and the group may set other content lines to be drawn in discussion or in reading material (e.g., mentions of self-harm, gore, sexual assault) in order to make the experience as fun for all participants as possible. As this is a romance book group, it should be assumed that books read and discussed will often include sex, sometimes explicit in nature.
Book group leaders will:
- Read the entire book
- Gather information to help enhance the discussion
- Be prepared to offer counter opinions – even if they differ from our own
- Be prepared to begin new lines of discussion when necessary
- Not let one person monopolize the discussion
- Be willing and prepared to take control of the group, firmly but respectfully
Book group participants will:
- Make their best effort to complete the book
- Come ready to both share and listen
- Be ready to back up opinions with the “why”
- Have a great time — if you stop enjoying it, let the leader know
Previous books read:
- December 2021 – Holiday Romance TBA
- November 2021 – The Matzah Ball, Jean Meltzer (Holiday Romance)
- October 2021- How To Bang A Billionaire, Alexis Hall (Billionaire M/M Romance)
- September 2021 – Deal With The Devil, Kit Rocha (Science Fiction Romance)
- August 2021 – Gray Hair, Don’t Care, Karen Booth (Second Chance Romance)
- July 2021 – Angel’s Blood, Nalini Singh (Paranormal Romance)
- June 2021 – Entangled, Melissa Brayden (Lesbian Contemporary Romance)
- May 2021 – The Obsession, Nora Roberts (Contemporary Romantic Suspense)
- April 2021 – Destiny’s Embrace, Beverly Jenkins (Historical Romance)
- March 2021 – Loathe At First Sight, Suzanne Park (Contemporary Romance)
- February 2021 – Reader’s Choice