Apply for a Springfield City Library Card online.
Springfield City Library has added the ability to apply for a library card online!
This process is for new cards only – if you need to renew an existing card, please call us at 413-263-6828 x218 or any Springfield City Library location. If you’re not sure if you have a CW MARS (Central Western Massachusetts Resource Sharing) card already, ask us!
Before you apply, please read about library card policies here.
After you apply for a library card online, a staff member will call you to complete the library card registration process over the phone. Once completed, the staff member will make a curbside appointment with you to come to the library and verify your information. You will then be given your library card number. Your library card will be mailed to your address.
To apply, please click the library card registration link for the branch nearest you (a list of our locations can be found here). Library cards can be used throughout the entire CW MARS network, you are not limited to the branch you receive it from. If you have any questions, feel free to call any Springfield City Library location, or e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curbside pickup of materials available at all Springfield City Library locations.
NEW – Sundays added only at Central Library starting November 1!
We miss you! And although we can’t open our doors just yet, we want you to safely get the library items you want. Beginning Monday, June 8, we’ll start curbside pickup. Our contactless curbside pickup is as easy as A, B, C!
A. Request items you’d like to borrow. (See methods to request below.)
B. We’ll let you know when the items are ready for pickup, and schedule an appointment with you to get them.
C. When it’s your turn to pick up your items, follow the signs at your library, call the number provided, and we’ll bring your items out for you to pick up.
You can use one of the following to reserve books, movies, video games, and music (only one method is necessary):
Please review the following information:
- You may only book a pickup appointment after receiving a notice from the Library that your items are ready. Staff will assist you with this service.
- Our employees wear face masks for everyone’s safety. We require that all of our patrons also wear face masks while they come for curbside pickup.
- For the safety of our staff and patrons, we will not be opening our doors for any reason. If you need help, please call us at the number on the sign outside the location you are visiting.
- Please follow the instructions on the signs outside the library: remain in your car until signaled to approach the materials transfer table and do not approach staff while they are outside.
- Items such as puzzles, puppets, and kits are not available at this time.
- We are ONLY accepting returns in our book drops, NOT at the pickup table. Items are being quarantined for 4 days before being checked in. If you are concerned about the check-in status of an item, please call us.
- Fines will be waived during this pandemic time period – if you have accrued fines, please call us to adjust.
We also can print some documents for you for curbside pickup. Contact your nearest branch by phone or email for details.
Service and Curbside Pickup Hours
220 State Street Springfield MA 01103
359 Plainfield Street Springfield MA 01107
|East Forest Park|
136 Surrey Road Springfield MA 01118
21 Osborne Terrace Springfield MA 01104
380 Belmont Avenue Springfield MA 01108
44 Oak Street Springfield MA 01151
|Library Express |
at Pine Point
204 Boston Road Springfield MA 01109
765 State Street Springfield MA 01109
1187 Parker Street Springfield MA 01129
Adult Learning Center
204 Boston Road Springfield MA 01109
|Services||Call 413-263-6839 for hours.
|*Open Sundays in November and December 2020||
Available services from Springfield City Library during the coronavirus pandemic.
How You Can Reach Us
At this time, the library staff is available by phone, email and chat support, and you can also reach us at Ask A Librarian. However, buildings are still not open to the public.
Hours for each location for remote and curbside services are here.
Click here for details about how to safely get the library items you want.
Programs and Events
Several of our groups have moved online in various formats, and most locations are offering various “take and make” activities for children and families. Check out our calendar for details.
Please note all in-person events are still suspended. If you have questions, please reach out.
Online Resources in our eLibrary 24/7
You can find a world of resources at your fingertips in our eLibrary! Ebooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, Movies, TV, Music, Language learning, Newspapers – all available 24/7. Check it out, and contact us with questions.
If for some reason your card doesn’t work for the eLibrary, please call us and we will do our best to solve the problem. Please note that some resources depend on having a card specifically from Springfield, and they indicate that in the description.
Our Book Drops Are Open for Returns
- Items are quarantined for 4 days before being checked in.
- All late fees accrued during our closure will be waived.
- We will happily extend your due dates – call us if you want to do that.