Through your online account you can find books, DVDs, audiobooks, eBooks – and more! Open 24/7 with your Springfield City Library card.
Log into your account:
- Go to the login page of the online catalog.
- Enter the barcode that appears on the back of your Springfield City Library card in the username field. (You can change your username once you’ve logged in.)
- Enter your PIN in the password field.
- Click on the “Log in” button located below the username and password fields.
If you are unsuccessful after following these instructions, click on the link “Forgot your password?” to the right of the “Log In” button. Follow the instructions on this page. An email will be sent to the email address that we have on record for you. If you do not receive email in response to your reset request, please consider each of the following before contacting the circulation staff at one of our Springfield City library locations:
- You have not made www.cwmars.org a trusted domain on your computer. In this case, the email may be going directly to your spam folder.
- Your computer security software (your firewall) is blocking the email.
- You are checking a different email mailbox than the one that is listed in your library account.
If you still are unable to access your patron account, please feel free to contact the circulation staff at your local Springfield City Library location.
Access a world of information, day or night, wherever you happen to be. All you need is your Springfield City Library card and a device on which to download whatever you’re looking for.
Visit the Springfield City eLibrary for links to all of the downloadable media we subscribe to.
The CW MARS digital catalog offered through Overdrive contains electronic books, audiobooks, magazines, and video that you can download to your device and enjoy. Login with your library card number. Use Overdrive’s help pages for detailed instructions for using your particular device.
Libby, by Overdrive – Get the super-easy to use Libby app for your phone or tablet! Borrow e-Books and e-Audio books instantly and for free. – Quick Guide to Libby
Overdrive – Through the free service Overdrive, the C/WMARS digital catalog offers eBooks, audiobooks and video that you can download to your Android, Apple, Kindle or Nook. – Guide to Overdrive
hoopla is an innovative new service that partners with the Springfield City Library to bring you thousands of movies, television, music, and audiobook titles for free 24/7. There are no costs or hassles. All you need is a Springfield City Library card number and a web browser, phone, or tablet. – Quick Guide to hoopla.
Freegal Music offers access to about 15 million songs, including Sony Music’s catalog of legendary artists, and over 40,000 music videos. All you need is your Springfield City Library card number and your online catalog PIN. Remote access for Springfield City Library cardholders only. – Quick Guide to Freegal.
Kanopy is a dedicated video streaming service featuring over 30,000 films including independent and world cinema, documentaries, instructional films, T.V. series and many other genres. The videos can be viewed on a range of devices by downloading the appropriate app. Springfield City Library card holders can stream up to five titles per month.
Notify any Springfield City Library location by telephone or in person as soon as you notice your card has been lost or stolen so that we can block anyone else from using it.
You may also always call the Central Library at 413-263-6828, ext. 218 or ext. 239.
We will not hold you responsible for items that are checked out after you reported your card was lost or stolen, but you will be responsible for items checked out before that.
To get a replacement card, come into the Library with a current picture ID.
However you request your materials, we will call you or send you an email, text, or a postcard notification when your materials are ready for pick up.
Place Your Own Item Requests
You may place your own item requests electronically through the online catalog either from a computer in the Library or from your home or office. You may have up to 20 active hold requests at a time. Enter your library card number and PIN, request the item, and use the drop-down menu to choose your preferred library location for pickup.
Request assistance to place a HOLD at any Branch Library Reference Desk. You must have your library card with you to do this since we will need your barcode number to place the request for you.
By Telephone or Online from your home or office
Use our AskALibrarian service online or telephone the Reference Desk at any Springfield City Library location. Please include your mailing address, telephone number, and library card number, along with details of the items you want.
We will hold the item for you for one week at the circulation desk of the library location you specified for pick up.
One renewal of library material is allowed for the original loan period if no one else has requested the item.
You may renew in person or by telephone at the circulation desk of any Springfield City Library location. Please have your library card number ready when you call.
You may also view your library record and renew online by logging in to your C/WMARS account. Enter your library card number in the user name box and enter your password or PIN. For first time card holders enter the last 4 digits of your telephone number.
The listed policies apply at most C/WMARS libraries. Other libraries may have different overdue fines, rules, and policies.
C/WMARS stands for Central/Western Massachusetts Automated Resource Sharing. The Libraries in the C/WMARS network, including the Springfield City Library, share library items with each other.
How long you can borrow items:
1 week – Movies, Magazines, Video Games
2 weeks – New Adult Books
3 weeks – All other library materials
Audio-Visual Material Check Out Limits:
(applies to Springfield City Library items)
3 Video Games
8 Each of DVDs and CDs
C/WMARS Network Check Out Limits:
20 Total DVDs/CDs/Video Games
50 Items checked out on your card
20 Holds (items you’ve requested)
If you’d like to borrow your item for longer, you can request to Renew your item. You get one renewal, meaning you can borrow the item for another 1-3 weeks depending on the item type.
Springfield City Library Overdue Fines
If you return Springfield City Library items past the due date, you will be fined 10 cents per day per item, up to a maximum of $3 per item. This rule applies to all borrowers age 12 and older. Other C/WMARS libraries may charge up to $1/day for DVDs and Video Games.
Interlibrary Loans (from non-C/WMARS libraries)
$1 a day per item, up to a maximum of $30 per item, plus all fees charged by the lending library.
You may view your library record, place and view holds, keep track of due dates and renew online, or pay a fine by logging into your C/WMARS account.
- Enter your library card number (no spaces) in the user name box.
- Enter your password or PIN. For first time card holders enter the last 4 digits of your telephone number.
- To change your user name or password click on Account Preferences, then click on CHANGE to the right of password or user name.
- If you have a problem logging in or forget your pin call any Springfield City Library location for help. You will need your library card number when calling.
- If your email address has been entered into your account, you can request a PIN reset electronically. Click on “Forgot your password?,” and enter your library card number (barcode).
If you already have a card from another C/W MARS public library, you may use it at all of our library locations — you do not need to apply for a separate card.
- Massachusetts residents may get a free Springfield City Library card by stopping in to any of our locations and showing a valid picture I.D. with your current address. If your valid picture I.D. does not show your current address, please bring in a copy of a current utility bill or other documentation with your current address. A P.O. Box is not acceptable for purposes of getting a library card.
- NEW – You can now apply for a card online! Click here for links and instructions.
- The parents of children age 17 and younger are responsible for all lost and damaged items and fines and fees on their children’s library cards. Name & Residence Confirmation postcards, library cards, and other correspondence are addressed to the child’s parents or legal guardians. Check with the Circulation Desk for I.D. requirements for children.
- If you are a student in an area college, show your school I.D. and a picture ID with your permanent address and any ID with your name and current local address if this is different from your permanent address.
- If you are an out of state resident, you may get a free card if you own property in Massachusetts or if you work in or for the City of Springfield, with a valid picture I.D. with your current address and proof of Massachusetts property ownership or employment in or for the City of Springfield.
- Click here for more I.D. options.
Visit the C/W MARS website for a list of member libraries . For more information about library cards, library policies and borrowing privileges, call any Springfield City Library.
Interested in receiving a pdf of our monthly events booklet? Sign up here! Simply fill in your name and email address.
You’ll be added to our email list and we’ll send you the monthly booklet, detailing all upcoming library programs, before the first of the month. If you wish at any time to be removed from the list, send an email to email@example.com.
We respect your privacy and we do not distribute email addresses.
Printing in black and white is available at all Springfield City Library locations. Please check your local branch library for specific details.
Please Note: All Library buildings are currently closed. If you have mobile printing needs, please call your local branch for assistance.
During the pandemic while libraries are closed to the public, patrons may request up to ten pages of printing a day, and arrange a curbside pickup appointment to retrieve it.
Currently, to support contactless pick-up, we are not collecting the usual charge of 15 cents per page.
See curbside pickup information here.