Forest Park Branch
|380 Belmont Avenue
Springfield MA 01108
Manager: Maeleah Carlisle
Supervisor: Anne Hrobsky
PVTA Bus Routes: G2
Forest Park neighborhood residents outgrew the provisional circulating library that was set up at Park Memorial Baptist Church and residents wanted a full service branch library. In 1908, industrialist Andrew Carnegie provided $50,000 for three branch libraries that included Forest Park Branch Library. Carnegie required that neighborhood citizens subscribe for land to match his donation of money for the building. Over 500 prominent Forest Park citizens subscribed for land and soon Forest Park Branch Library was completed in 1909.
The renovated Forest Park Branch Library children’s area, now the Charlie & Joan Ryan Family Place, was made possible through the generosity of the Barker Foundation and Troy and Pat Murray. Honoring former Springfield Mayor Charles V. Ryan and his wife Joan, the creative new space will provide inspiration and learning opportunities for so many area children, just as the original room did for young Charlie and Troy.
Thanks to our benefactors the changes are astonishing, the room looks phenomenal, and the Charlie & Joan Ryan Family Place is ready to welcome all ages.
New titles recently added at the Forest Park Branch.
Twelve internet computers, one iPad pre-loaded with preschool games. Each session lasts one hour. Children may have one session per day. Headphones are only provided for the preschool computer, not the internet ones. Earbuds are available at the Circulation desk for $1.
On-street parking is available on Belmont Avenue and Oakland Street. There are time limits on Belmont.
To promote neighborhood culture and development, the library makes its community room available for educational, social service, and other organizations. Click here for information about booking the Meeting Room.
For more information about the history of the Forest Park Branch, download our brochure.