The Springfield Library Commission encourages and appreciates private support of the Springfield City Library. To ensure that all gifts are appropriate to the Library’s mission, the following guidelines have been adopted:
- The Library will determine the acceptance of each gift.
- Monetary donations to the general collection fund can be sent by check to the Director’s Office, 220 State Street, Springfield, MA 01103. Monetary donations of $1000 or more, whether intended for materials or other uses, should be sent by check to the Springfield Library Foundation, 220 State Street, Springfield MA 01103.
- The Library selectively accepts gifts of books, periodicals, audio and video recordings, and other materials for public use. Gifts to the Library are judged on the same criteria as purchased material. The Library is unable to house and promote a substantial special collection. Conditions of display, housing, access, and withdrawal are considered. The appraisal of a gift for tax purposes is the responsibility of the donor.
- Personal property, antiques, and collectibles may be accepted at the discretion of the Springfield Library Commission with the understanding that they may be sold, given away, or otherwise disposed of.
- Works of art will be accepted at the discretion of Springfield Library Commission with the understanding that they may be sold, given away, or otherwise disposed of. The Springfield Library Commission reserves the right to determine the location and display of donated artwork. The Commission may request that an artwork be accompanied by a current appraisal of value and may request evidence of bona fide artistic importance and merit of the work and reputation of the artist. An appropriate deed of gift, or similar document transferring sole and exclusive ownership of the artwork to the Library, will be required.
- Memorial gifts may be refused if an expenditure of library funds and/or staff time is necessary to make the gift usable. The Library does not guarantee the purchase of specifically identified titles with such funds. Donors are encouraged to recommend subject areas if desired, but do not have the right of approval of titles before purchase.
- Recognition of Gifts – library bookplates will be placed in library materials purchased with gift funds, format permitting. Programs and services made possible by gift funds will include recognition of such benefactors in the supporting literature. The Library will acknowledge each gift with a letter to the donor.
- Any restrictions on gifts must be submitted in writing and approved by the Springfield Library Commission. Restricted monetary gifts will be accepted on the condition that the specific use requested is consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the Library.
- The responsibility for the appraisal or the estimation of the value of gift donations lies with the donor. The Library will not assess or suggest a value for non-monetary gifts for income tax or other purposes; any letter of acknowledgment will not contain a statement of value.
Approved by the Springfield Library Commissioners, November 4, 2020
Amended by the Springfield Library Commissioners, February 3, 2021
Printable copy: Gift Policy and Transfer of Ownership Form .