All Springfield City Library facilities are available to persons of all ages. While everyone has an equal right to access library services and facilities, no person has the right to interfere with the ability of others to use and enjoy library resources, services, and facilities.
For the safety and comfort of library visitors, volunteers, and staff, and the protection of community resources, we ask that everyone abide by the following behavior policy:
- Follow city, state, and federal laws and public health guidelines.
- Be respectful of other patrons, staff, the space, and library materials. Specific behaviors to avoid include:
- Bringing weapons into the library
- Running, pushing, shoving, or throwing objects
- Verbally or physically threatening or harassing other visitors, library staff or volunteers, including stalking, staring, touching, or using offensive language
- Using cell phones or other technology in a manner that disturbs others. Cell phone ringers should be set to vibrate. Some library locations provide a designated space for making and taking phone calls.
- Entering the library barefoot, without a shirt, and/or with overpowering body odor or perfume so as to interrupt library operations
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals, into the Library, unless authorized by the Library to support a program
- Blocking walkways or creating tripping hazards
- Taking library materials without checking them out with a library card
- Posting flyers without prior permission of branch or department manager or library director’s office
- Soliciting or conducting surveys
- All bags and other articles are subject to inspection by library staff or security personnel.
Library staff or security personnel will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors. Failure to comply with the Library’s established standards of acceptable behavior may result in removal from the building and/or restriction of library privileges.
Approved by Springfield Library Commission October 5, 2005
Amended by the Springfield Library Commission May 12, 2014
Amended by the Springfield Library Commission June 3, 2020
Amended by the Springfield Library Commission April 7, 2021