How Do I…
Get a PIN
Renew an Item
Place a Hold
Loan Periods, Limits & Fines
Report Lost or Stolen Card
If you already have a card from another C/W MARS public library, you may use it at all of our library locations — you do not need to apply for a separate card.
- Massachusetts residents may get a free Springfield City Library card by stopping in to any of our locations and showing a valid picture I.D. with your current address. If your valid picture I.D. does not show your current address, please bring in a copy of a current utility bill or other documentation with your current address. A P.O. Box is not acceptable for purposes of getting a library card.
- The parents of children age 17 and younger are responsible for all lost and damaged items and fines and fees on their children’s library cards. Name & Residence Confirmation postcards, library cards, and other correspondence are addressed to the child’s parents or legal guardians. Check with the Circulation Desk for I.D. requirements for children.
- If you are a student in an area college, show your school I.D. and a picture ID with your permanent address and any ID with your name and current local address if this is different from your permanent address.
- If you are an out of state resident, you may get a free card if you own property in Massachusetts or if you work in or for the City of Springfield, with a valid picture I.D. with your current address and proof of Massachusetts property ownership or employment in or for the City of Springfield.
- Computer Use Only cards are available if you present us with an I.D. with your name and tell us your full date of birth. This allows you access to all computer resources in the Springfield City Library but does not allow you to borrow.
- Click here for more I.D. options.
You may view your library record, place and view holds, keep track of due dates and renew online, or pay a fine by logging into your C/WMARS account.
- Enter your library card number (no spaces) in the user name box.
- Enter your password or PIN. For first time card holders enter the last 4 digits of your telephone number.
- To change your user name or password click on Account Preferences, then click on CHANGE to the right of password or user name.
- If you have a problem logging in or forget your pin call any Springfield City Library location for help. You will need your library card number when calling.
- If your email address has been entered into your account, you can request a PIN reset electronically. Click on “Forgot your password?,” and enter your library card number (barcode).
One renewal of library material is allowed for the original loan period if no one else has requested the item.
You may renew in person or by telephone at any Springfield City Library location. Please have your library card number ready when you call.
You may also view your library record and renew online by logging in to your C/WMARS account. Enter your library card number in the user name box and enter your password or PIN. For first time card holders enter the last 4 digits of your telephone number.
Place Your Own Item Requests
You may place your own item requests electronically through the online catalog either from a computer in the Library or from your home or office. You may have up to 20 active hold requests at a time. Enter your library card number and PIN, request the item, and use the drop-down menu to choose your preferred library location for pickup.
Request assistance to place a HOLD at any Branch Library Reference Desk. You must have your library card with you to do this since we will need your barcode number to place the request for you.
By Telephone or Online from your home or office
Use our AskALibrarian service online or telephone the Reference Desk at any Springfield City Library location. Please include your mailing address, telephone number, and library card number, along with details of the items you want.
However you request your materials, we will call you or send you an email or a postcard notification when your materials are ready for pick up. We will hold the item for you for one week at the circulation desk of the library location you specified for pick up.
C/WMARS stands for Central/Western Massachusetts Automated Resource Sharing. The Libraries in the C/WMARS network, including the Springfield City Library, share library items with each other.
How long you can borrow items:
1 week – Movies, Magazines, Video Games
2 weeks – New Adult Books
3 weeks – All other library materials
Audio-Visual Material Check Out Limits (applies to Springfield City Library items):
3 Video Games
8 Each of DVDs and CDs
C/WMARS Network Check Out Limits:
20 Total DVDs/CDs/Video Games
50 Items checked out on your card
20 Holds (items you’ve requested)
If you’d like to borrow your item for longer, you can request to Renew your item. You get one renewal, meaning you can borrow the item for another 1-3 weeks depending on the item type.
Springfield City Library Overdue Fines
If you return Springfield City Library items past the due date, you will be fined 10 cents per day per item, up to a maximum of $3 per item. This rule applies to all borrowers age 12 and older. Other C/WMARS libraries may charge up to $1/day for DVDs and Video Games.
Interlibrary Loans (from non-C/WMARS libraries) $1 a day per item, up to a maximum of $30 per item, plus all fees charged by the lending library.
The policies listed above apply at most C/WMARS libraries. Other libraries may have different overdue fines, rules, and policies.
Notify any Springfield City Library location by telephone or in person as soon as you notice your card has been lost or stolen so that we can block anyone else from using it. You may also always call the Central Library at 413-263-6828, ext 218 or ext 239.
We will not hold you responsible for items that are checked out after you reported your card was lost or stolen, but you will be responsible for items checked out before that.
To get a replacement card, come into the Library with a current picture ID.