How Do I…
Get a PIN
Renew an Item
Place a Hold
Loan Periods & Limits
Report Lost or Stolen Card
If you already have a card from another C/W MARS public library, you may use it at all of our library locations — you do not need to apply for a separate card.
- Massachusetts residents may get a free Springfield City Library card by stopping in to any of our locations and showing a valid picture I.D. with your current address. If your valid picture I.D. does not show your current address, please bring in a copy of a current utility bill or other documentation with your current address. A P.O. Box is not acceptable for purposes of getting a library card.
- The parents of children age 17 and younger are responsible for all lost and damaged items and fines and fees on their children’s library cards. Name & Residence Confirmation postcards, library cards, and other correspondence are addressed to the child’s parents or legal guardians. Check with the Circulation Desk for I.D. requirements for children.
- If you are a student in an area college, show your school I.D. and a picture ID with your permanent address and any ID with your name and current local address if this is different from your permanent address.
- If you are an out of state resident, you may get a free card if you own property in Massachusetts or if you work in or for the City of Springfield, with a valid picture I.D. with your current address and proof of Massachusetts property ownership or employment in or for the City of Springfield.
- Computer Use Only cards are available if you present us with an I.D. with your name and tell us your full date of birth. This allows you access to all computer resources in the Springfield City Library but does not allow you to borrow.
- Click here for more I.D. options.
You may view your library record, place and view holds, keep track of due dates and renew online, or pay a fine by logging into your C/WMARS account.
- Enter your library card number (no spaces) in the user name box.
- Enter your password or PIN. For first time card holders enter the last 4 digits of your telephone number.
- To change your user name or password click on Account Preferences, then click on CHANGE to the right of password or user name.
- If you have a problem logging in or forget your pin call any Springfield City Library location for help. You will need your library card number when calling.
- If your email address has been entered into your account, you can request a PIN reset electronically. Click on “Forgot your password?,” and enter your library card number (barcode).
One renewal of library material is allowed for the original loan period if no one else has requested the item.
You may renew in person or by telephone at any Springfield City Library location. Please have your library card number ready when you call.
You may also view your library record and renew online by logging in to your C/WMARS account. Enter your library card number in the user name box and enter your password or PIN. For first time card holders enter the last 4 digits of your telephone number.
Place Your Own Item Requests
You may place your own item requests electronically through the online catalog either from a computer in the Library or from your home or office. You may have up to 20 active hold requests at a time. Enter your library card number and PIN, request the item, and use the drop-down menu to choose your preferred library location for pickup.
Request assistance to place a HOLD at any Branch Library Reference Desk. You must have your library card with you to do this since we will need your barcode number to place the request for you.
By Telephone or Online from your home or office
Use our AskALibrarian service online or telephone the Reference Desk at any Springfield City Library location. Please include your mailing address, telephone number, and library card number, along with details of the items you want.
However you request your materials, we will call you or send you an email or a postcard notification when your materials are ready for pick up. We will hold the item for you for one week at the circulation desk of the library location you specified for pick up.
Loan Periods – Loan periods vary depending on the type of materials:
- 1 week: VHS tapes, DVDs, Magazines, Video games
- 2 weeks: New Adult Books
- 3 weeks: All other materials
Two items when you first register for a Springfield City Library card. After that you may have up to 50 items checked out through the C/WMARS network at any one time.
Limits on Springfield Media per Check out
- 3 Video Games
- 8 each of all other media (including movies)
Network Limits – by Media
- 20 – Total CDs and Juvenile CDs
- 20 – Total Adult & Juvenile movies
- 20 – Total Adult & Juvenile CD ROMs
- 20 – Total Adult & Juvenile Books on Tape and Books on CD
- 50 Total Items Checked Out
- 20 active holds
Notify any Springfield City Library location by telephone or in person as soon as you notice your card has been lost or stolen so that we can block anyone else from using it. You may also always call the Central Library at 413-263-6828, ext 218 or ext 239.
We will not hold you responsible for items that are checked out after you reported your card was lost or stolen, but you will be responsible for items checked out before that.
To get a replacement card, come into the Library with a current picture ID.