Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid
- Social security, medicare & government pensions / by Joseph L. Matthews with Dorothy Matthews Berman. 2005 On Order
- Completely updated to provide the latest information and changes in benefits, this plain-English book is a "must have" for anyone who is retired or about to be.
- Prescription for profit : how doctors defraud Medicaid / Paul Jesilow, Henry N. Pontell, and Gilbert Geis. 1993 364.163 J492p
- Jesilow and other colleagues in the School of Social Ecology at the University of California, Irvine, report on doctors, pharmacists, and insurance companies who have been convicted or who have confessed to Medicare crimes.
- The Elderly : opposing viewpoints / Karin Swisher, book editor, Tara P. Deal, assistant editor. 1990 305.26 E37
- Various authors debate age-related issues: How does society view the elderly? Do the elderly need outside help? Is social security distributed fairly? and Can society meet the elderly's health care needs?
- Safeguard your hard-earned savings / by Ken Stern.1995 332.024 S8395s
- Checklist of important issues to deal with as you or your family members confront retirement and aging.
- Social security, the inside story : an expert explains your rights and benefits / Andy Landis. 1993 344.7302 L235s
- A comprehensive, easy-to-read guide to the Social Security and Medicare systems, outlining benefits and special provisions. Landis covers the organizations and their histories, eligibility requirements, payment computations, the claim process, family and survivors benefits, and disability benefits.
- The Medicaid planning handbook : a guide to protecting your family's assests from catastrophic nursing home costs / Alexander A. Bove, Jr. 1996 344.73022 B669m
- The federal Medicaid program covers long term care expenses for the elderly, but only when a family can no longer pay those expenses itself - only after its life savings have been wiped out and the family home has been sold. This fully revised and updated edition of The Medicaid Planning Handbook shows how to avoid financial ruin by planning in advance for your parents' and your own long term care.
- Social security Q & A : your guide to navigating the system and getting what you're owed / Stanley A. Tomkiel, III. 2002 344.73023 TOMKIEL
- This new title is an organized collection of actual questions asked by individuals from around the country to Social Security benefits expert Stanley A. Tomkiel. Questions and answers are divided into categories such as child's benefits, disability benefits, parents' benefits, retirements benefits, and more.
- Social security, medicare, and pensions : get the most out of your retirement and medical benefits / by Joseph L. Matthews with Dorothy Matthews Berman ; edited by Barbara Kate Repa. 1998 344.730226 M432s
- An essential tool for everyone over 55, this book shows readers how to cut through the bureaucracy to get their slab of the pie. It explains: Social Security retirement & disability benefits, Supplemental Security Income, Civil Service retirement benefits, Medicare, Medicaid & Medi-gap health insurance, and veterans benefits.
- The rights of older persons / Robert N. Brown with Legal Counsel for the Elderly. 1989 346.73013 B814r
- This book covers older people's rights to an adequate income, health care, and freedom from restraints on life, liberty and property.
- Looking north for health : what we can learn from Canada's health care system / edited by Arnold Bennett, Orvill Adams ; foreword by John D. Rockefeller IV.1993 362.10971 LOOKING
- A distinguished group of Canadian health care experts show us what we can learn from Canada=s experience. They reveal a system that provides nearly universal high quality care, controls costs, and makes care responsive to the public will.
- The coming health crisis : who will pay for care for the aged in the twenty-first century? / John R. Wolfe. 1993 368.382 W382c
- John R. Wolfe offers practical solutions to the coming health crisis, exploring innovative ways of developing insurance plans for the care of the large, aging "Baby Boom" generation and beyond.
- Mercer Guide to Social Security and Medicare 368.4 MERCER G 1991
- Serving as a single source for information otherwise found in dozens of different government publications, this reference provides thorough, updated information and revisions legislated by Congress. Frequently asked questions are answered in a simple, forthright fashion, providing practical information on how benefits are calculated, when to apply, the retirement earnings test, benefit eligibility for divorced and remarried spouses, and when to enroll in Medicare.
- The comprehensive guide to social security and medicare / by Ken Stern. 1995 368.43 S839c
- By a financial analyst and retirement planner.
- Social Security under the gun / What Every Informed Citizen Needs to Know About Pension Reform by Arthur Benavie. 2003 368.4300973 BENAVIE
- Many Americans are convinced that the Social Security system is collapsing and that it can't survive without a major overhaul. This book examines the validity of such claims, offering possible solutions and explaining the arguments for and against restructuring the system.
- The big lie : what every baby boomer should know about social security and medicare / A. Haeworth Robertson. 1997 368.4300973 ROBERTSO
- Robertson, Chief Actuary of the US Social Security Administration from 1975 to 1978, explodes myths about Social Security, explains how the program really works, and reports that only 45% to 65% of benefits promised to baby boomers and their children during their retirement years can be financed by projected tax income. He outlines a new plan.
- The looting of social security : how the government is draining America's retirement account / Allen W. Smith. 2004 368.4300973 SMITH
- Smith, an outspoken advocate of economic education, has written a scathing account of massive fraud on the part of our nation's leaders, who have plundered every cent of the Social Security Trust Fund surplus that was specifically earmarked for the retirement of baby boomers.
- False alarm : why the greatest threat to social security and medicare is the campaign to "save" them / Joseph White. 2001 368.4300973 WHITE
- Before you sign on for the latest political prescription for "saving" Social Security and Medicare, make time for this very readable analysis by public-policy professor White.
- How to get SSI and Social Security Disability : an insider's step by step guide by Mike Davis. 2000 368.42 DAVIS How to g
- What do you really need to get SSI for an adult or child? A former SSI Examiner gives a step by step simplified guide.
- Intensive care : we must save Medicare and Medicaid now / Ross Perot. 1995 368.42 P424i
- Former presidential candidate Ross Perot's ideas on Medicare reform.
- Medicare Made Easy Rev. and updated ed. / Charles B. Inlander and Michael A. Donio. 1998 368.426 I56m
- Produced by the People's Medical Society, a consumer health advocacy organization. A guide for actual and potential Medicare beneficiaries to getting maximum benefits from the program.
- Social security : what every taxpayer should know / A. Haeworth Robertson. 1992 368.43 R545s
- Presents basic background information (e.g. who pays for social security and how much) and informed commentary on selected topics, among them, getting our money's worth, social security as a determinant of behavior, the great American retirement dream, social insurance in perspective.
- Social security : the phony crisis / Dean Baker and Mark Weisbrot. 1999 368.4301 BAKER Social s
- Baker and Weisbrot take issue with widespread dire predictions that the 64-year-old Social Security system will not be able to provide financial security for the aged and disabled in the future. Baker, a senior research fellow at the Century Foundation and the Preamble Center, and Weisbrot, a research director at the Preamble Center, project that Social Security will remain viable for at least 30 more years--longer if the U.S. economy continues to grow at its current pace.
On The Web
- Social Security Issue Guide
- From the Economic Policy Institute.
- Social Security & Pensions
- Publications from the Congressional Budget Office.
- Social Security Online
- Official website of the US Social Security Administration.
- Social Security Reform
- From AARP.
- Project on Social Security Choice
- From the Cato Institute.