Reference Resources at the Central Library
- Contemporary Hispanic Quotations,ed. by Daniel and Edward Stanton. 2003.
- (Ref. 973.0468 CONTEMPORARY)
- Hispanic American Almanac, 2003
- Covers all aspects of Hispanic history and culture. Includes significant historical documents. (Ref 973.0468 HISPANIC)
- Hispanic Firsts: 500 Years of Extraordinary Achievement, 1997.
- Nicolas Kanellos. (Ref 973.0468073 K131h)
- Latino Encyclopedia, 1996. 6 vols.
- Entries on all "facets of life that have a unique expression among Latinos." (Ref 973.0468 L3495)
- St. James Guide to Hispanic Artists: Profiles of Latino and Latin American Artists.
- Thomas Riggs. 2002. (Ref 704.0368 St. James)
- Contemporary Hispanic Biography: Profiles from the International Hispanic Community.
- 2002. 4 vols. (Ref 920 CONTEMPORARY)
- The Hispanic 100: A Ranking of the Latino Men and Women Who Have Most Influenced American Thought and Culture, 1995.
- (Ref 920.009268 N857h)
- Notable Latino Americans, 1996.
- Matt S. Meier. Over 125 biographies of 3-4 pages each. Each entry contains a bibliography for further study. (Ref 920.009268 M475n)
- Notable Twentieth-Century Latin American Women: A Biographical Dictionary, 2001.
- Approximately 75 biographies of women who have made outstanding contributions to their fields of endeavor. (Ref 920.72098 NOTABLE)
- Encyclopedia of Latin American Literature, 1997.
- "...contains entries on writers, works and topics relating to the literature of Latin America, including survey articles on all the continents' individual countries." (Ref 860.09803 E56)
- Hispanic Literature Criticism, 1994. 4 vols. + Supplements.
- "...a broad selection of the best criticism of works by major Hispanic writers of the past 100 years." (Ref 860.09 H625)
- HIspanic Literature of the United States: A Comprehensive Reference.
- Nicolas Kanellos. 2003. (Ref 810.9868 KANELLOS)
- Latin American Writers, 1989. 3 vols.
- An introductory overview explores the history of the relationships between Spain, Portugal and the New World. Author entries are arranged chronologically, with an alphabetical index in volume 3. A chronology of major events follows the introduction in volume 1. Covers authors from the 15th century to the present. (Ref 860.9 L349)
- Masterpieces of Latino Literature, 1994.
- Plot summaries and analysis of major Hispanic works. Arranged by title. (Ref 860.998 M393)
- World Literature and Its Times: Latin America, 1999, Vol. I.
- Bio-critical essays that attempt to analyze individual works within the historical context of the period in which the work is set, as well as the period in which the author is living. Covers authors whose principal works were written during the twentieth century. (Ref 809 MOSS)
- Garland Encyclopedia of World Music, volume 2: South America, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean. 1998.
- Survey articles covering all countries, regions, sub-cultures, and movements. An index identifies individual musicians and topics. Also includes a CD with samples of music from various countries. (Ref 780.9 G183 v.2)
- Latin American Classical Composers: A Biographical Dictionary, 1996.
- (Ref 780.52 F444L)
Need help for your project, or more information? Visit the library and meet with our reference librarians for assistance, or AskALibrarian!