Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, or Questioning:
Nonfiction for Teens
Download a printable copy here.
- Being Gay, Staying Healthy by Jaime Seba (2011). 306.766 SEBA
- Information on self-respect and sexual health, substance abuse, body image and other health topics for teens.
- Feeling Wrong in Your Own Body: Understanding What it Means to be Transgender by Jaime A. Seba (2011) 306.768 SEBA
- Explores what gender is and how it feels to grow to be a transgender adult.
- Friendship, Dating, and Relationships by Simone Payment (in series Teens: Being Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender ) (2010). 306.76 PAYMENT
- Offers dating and relationship advice for gay teenagers, including information about STDs, older partners, breaking up, and abuse.
- The Full Spectrum : A New Generation of Writing about Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, and Other Identities edited by David Levithan and Billy Merrell (2006). 306.7660835 Full
- A collection of original poems, essays, and stories by young adults in their teens and early twenties explores many sexual issues on the minds of kids today, including coming out, first kisses, break-ups, religion/faith, friendship, and more.
- GLBT Teens and Society by Jeanne Nagle (in series Teens: Being Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender ) (2010). 306.76 NAGLE
- Discusses confusion, conflicts, health issues, social stigma, and media representations that GLBT teens may face, and suggests places to find support.
- GLBTQ: the Survival Guide for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Teens by Kelly Huegel (2011). 306.766 HUEGEL
- Describes the challenges faced by gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered teens and offers practical advice, real-life experiences, and accessible resources and support groups.
- Hear Us Out! : Lesbian and Gay Stories of Struggle, Progress and Hope, 1950 to the Present by Nancy Garden (2007). 306.766 GARDEN
- What was it like being young and gay during the closeted 1950s, the exuberant beginnings of the modern gay rights movement in the 1970s, or the frightening outbreak of HIV and AIDS in the 1980s? In this unique history, Nancy Garden uses both fact and fiction to explore just what it has meant to be young and gay in America during the last fifty years.
- Home and Family Relationships by Tamra Orr (in series Teens: Being Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender) 306.760835 ORR (2010)
- Offers advice on how gay teens can talk to their parents, suggests ways to cope with their responses, and provides information on where to look for additional emotional support.
- Life at School and in the Community by Richard Worth Payment (in series Teens: Being Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender ). 306.760973 WORTH (2010)
- Strategies for coming out to ones friends, interacting with school personnel, and dealing with bullies. Advice is also given on how to organize groups such as gay-straight alliances.
- What Causes Sexual Orientation: Genetics, Biology, Psychology by Bill Palmer. 306.766 PALMER (2011)
- Explores scientific and psychological understandings of the roots of gender identity and sexual orientation.
- What if Someone I Know is Gay?: Answers to Questions about What It Means to Be Gay and Lesbian by Eric Marcus. 306.766 MARCUS What if (2007, updated 2011)
- This timely--and groundbreaking--guide offers answers to questions young adults might ask about gay people, whether those questions concern a friend, a family member, or themselves, helping them to better understand what being gay is about.
Download a printable copy here.