Adult Summer Reading Club
Where readers, writers and neighbors come together!
The Adult Summer Reading Club runs from June 23 through August 24, 2014.
Join the Adult Summer Reading Club and share with other club members the great books you read this summer! Club members earn a chance to win for each book read, for each review written, and for each Adult Summer Reading Club program they attend.
- All submissions for books read and reviews written are done online. Sign up here or ask your neighborhood librarian for assistance.
- Membership in the Adult Summer Reading Club is free, and is open to adults 18 and older.
- Submissions to the ASRC raffle should be for books read during this season’s program, which runs from June 23-August 24, 2014.
- Please create original reviews. Make them engaging so that others will want to read them. Reviews should help others understand the characters, the book and/or your experience while reading it. Reviews are your chance to shine, so please make them as good as you can.
- There will be six raffle drawings on Monday, July 21, and six more raffle drawings on Thursday, August 28. In August there will also be awards for the 1st and 2nd place winners of Most Reviews Written.
- Prizes for July will be mailed directly to the award winners’ home addresses, but prizes for August will be awarded at the Finale on Thursday, August 28.
- Librarians will review and post the new reviews daily.
Adult Summer Reading Club Programs:
Attend any of these programs and earn a raffle ticket to the prize drawings.
Book Discussion Groups: Join a discussion group for one meeting or several. Make new friends, share exciting stories about books read, and earn a raffle ticket for each discussion you attend. See our book discussion group webpage for details about where and when these groups meet.
Local Authors @ Your Library — Spotlight on African-American Writers: July is local author month at the Mason Square Branch Library! On the first four Thursdays from 6-7:30 p.m. the branch will feature recently-published local authors who will be available to meet-and-greet the public, sell-and-sign copies of their book, and answers questions about writing, publishing, their book(s), and more. Stop by and see what stories they have for you!
Mad about Mysteries: Do you love a good mystery? Then this is the program for you! Three published mystery novelists will lead a panel discussion in this special program about the pleasures of reading and writing mystery novels on Wednesday, June 25, from 6:30 – 8 p.m. in the Central Library Community Room. The panelists, all from Sisters in Crime New England, include M.E. Kemp, Carole Shmurak, and Steve Liskow.
Finale: Enjoy some strawberry shortcake, see who won the final six raffle drawings, and have some laughs with comic Eric Norman on Thursday, August 28, from 6:30 – 8 pm in the Brightwood Branch Library Community Room.
Eric Norman’s dynamic style adapts to all types of audiences delivering a fun night of laughter for all.
Awards for Most Reviews Written (first and second place) will be awarded too at the Finale. Attendance at the Finale is for ASRC participants only.
The Summer Reading Club is sponsored by the Friends of the Springfield Library, Inc., the Massachusetts Library System, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.