We love puppets! Besides being just plain fun, they encourage creative play, bring favorite stories to life, boost language skills, and help children cope with new experiences by role-playing.
You don’t have to spend a cent to get started playing with puppets. If you have construction paper, a cereal box, a paper lunch bag, colored markers, or a wooden spoon, you’re ready. Scraps of fabric, ribbon, or wrapping paper can dress your puppet in style.
Make a Cereal Box Puppet
- Indian Orchard, Wednesday, November 13, 3:30-5 pm
- Brightwood, Thursday, November 14, 3:30-5 pm
- East Springfield, Wednesday, November 20, 3:30-4:30 pm
- Central Library, Saturday, November 23, 1:30-2:30 pm
- East Forest Park, Monday, November 25, 4-4:45 pm
- Forest Park, Tuesday, November 26, 3:30-4:30 pm
- Sixteen Acres, Tuesday, November 26, 4-5 pm
It’s a Puppet Fiesta! Have you ever wanted to make a REALLY big puppet? Think outside the box—the cereal box that is! We’ll supply the cereal boxes and decorations and you supply the imagination. Create a character to use in your own puppet show!
Make your OWN puppet!
Monday November 18 – Saturday November 30
All Library Locations
It’s a PUPPET FIESTA! Two weeks to celebrate puppets! Drop in to any Springfield library branch during open hours and make your own puppet!
CactusHead Puppets presents The Tale of Juan Bobo
Wednesday, November 20
Mason Square Community Room, 10:30 am
Indian Orchard Branch Library, 3:30 pm
CactusHead Puppets is a new puppet company based in the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts. We are a source of fun and slightly silly shows and workshops for all ages. Come and hear all about the adventures of Juan Bobo!
The Puppet People present: The Pirate of Book Island
Thursday, November 21, 3:30
Children of all ages are needed to help solve the mystery of Book Island in this puppet pirate adventure! Join us in the Brightwood Branch Library Community Room!
Marmalade Productions presents Dr. Marmalaid!
Forest Park Branch
Saturday, November 23, 11 am
Dr. Marmalaid has traveled the world helping animals in distress. Children become Dr. Marmalaid’s assistants, helping a gorilla with a bellyache, a singing dinosaur, and a snake that wants to be a kitty, a giraffe, crow, rabbit and many others. Join us in the Forest Park Branch Library Community Room.
Marmalade Productions Bird Puppet Making and Parade
Forest Park Branch Library Community Room
Saturday, November 23, 12:15 pm
Sign up online
Attend the Dr. Marmalaid performance and then create a bird puppet or just come to this creative event. Make a bird puppet, parade around the library and flap your wings! Preregistration for the bird puppet event is recommended. Call (413) 263-6843 or sign up online.
Caravan Puppets presents Timeless Tales
East Springfield Branch
Saturday, November 23, 1 pm
World tales and original pieces! Audiences are treated to a wide diversity of puppets and puppetry styles with beautiful staging and original music. Stories include: The Chicken and Egg, Anansi and the Snake, The Three Little Pigs, and more!
Sparky’s Puppets presents The Kingdom of Riddles
Sixteen Acres Branch
Saturday, November 23, 1 pm
In this puppet adventure, children help a knight to capture a unicorn by solving riddles! Put on your thinking caps and join us in the Sixteen Acres Branch Library Community Room.
Pumpernickel Puppets presents Peter Rabbit
Central Library Community Room
Sunday, November 24, 1:30 pm
Pumpernickel Puppet shows are presented with a cast of colorful puppet characters, audience participation, live voices and sound effects that not only entertain, but also stimulate children’s imagination and creativity. A demonstration period follows every performance giving the audience some insight into what happens behind the scenes.
Caravan Puppets presents Professor Diggins Jurassic Journey
East Forest Park Branch
Saturday, November 30, 1 pm
Join Professor Diggins at the East Forest Park Branch Library for this action packed fact-filled fantasy told with rocking songs, and fantastic puppets!
- Puppets (DLTK’s Crafts for Kids)
- Lots of children’s puppet crafts and projects.
- Puppets and Paper Dolls (Nick Jr.)
- Puppet and paper doll projects featuring favorite Nick Jr. characters.
- No-Sew Finger Puppets (PBS)
- Create a finger puppet out of pipe cleaners.
- Max and Ruby Dollhouse Puppet Theater (Nick Jr.)
- Make your own Max and Ruby puppet theater.
- Family String Puppets (PBS)
- Create string puppets using photos of your family.
- Muppet Hand Puppet (Spoonful)
- Make a Muppet hand puppet.
- Sock Puppet (Sesame Street)
- Sock puppet craft with step-by-step photos.
- Mini Muppet Finger Puppets (Sesame Street)
- Make finger puppets featuring your favorite Sesame Street characters.
- Puppet Theater (Sprout)
- Create your own puppet theater out of a cardboard box.
- Mini Pencil Puppets & Cereal Box Theater (PBS)
- Make a cereal box theater and mini pencil puppets to use with it.
- Make Your Very Own Puppet Show (Boowa & Kwala)
- Use this online game to create your own virtual puppet show.
- Puppets in the Springfield City Library’s Children’s Catalog (C/W MARS)
- Puppets, puppet books, and more at the Springfield City Library.