Library in Your Mailbox
A free books-by-mail program from the Springfield City Library for homebound and disabled citizens.
- What is the Library in Your Mailbox (LIYM) Program?
- Participants in this program regularly receive library materials mailed to their homes at no charge.
- Who is Eligible?
- Any Springfield resident who is homebound or disabled is eligible for this program.
- How do I Register?
- Call or email the library (see contact information below) and state that you would like to register for Library in Your Mailbox (LIYM). The library will then send you two forms (Registration & Interest Profile) which you may fill out and mail back with the self-addressed stamped envelope. There are times when there may be a waiting list for Library in Your Mailbox. If this is the case the coordinator will contact you with your position on the waiting list. You will then be contacted as soon as an opening occurs.
- Can I Request Materials Other Than Books?
- You may request items in any format including DVDs, large print, CDs, and books on CD. Regular item limits (i.e., no more than 3 videos at a time) will apply. You will receive more information in the Guidelines for Use after you register.
- How Many Items Can I Receive at One Time?
- You may request up to 6 items at a time.
- How Long Can I Keep Them?
- The total loan period is 4 weeks from the date the materials were mailed to you from the library. When the items are returned, you will be sent a new selection.
- How Do I Receive Titles That Interest Me?
- Be sure to fill out the Interest Profile, which describes your reading tastes. Based on this information, your LIYM provider will regularly select materials for you. You will receive a new interest profile form in every mailing so you can change your choices, request specific titles, or otherwise give feedback about your selections. You are also welcome to order items online, call, or email titles to the LIYM Coordinator (see contact information below).
- What Are Other Options For People Who Find It Difficult to Get to the Library?
- The Perkins School for the Blind provides loans of audiotape and braille books as well as other materials for people with a wide range of disabilities. If you would like more information about their service, Perkins Braille & Talking Book Library, please contact the LIYM Coordinator at (413) 263-6828 ext. 426 or enclose a note with your registration form. You are also welcome to contact Perkins directly: Perkins Braille & Talking Book Library: Phone: 617-972-7240, 1-800-852-3133, or email: Library@Perkins.org. The fax number is 617-972-7363 and the TTY number is 617-972-7690. You can view their website by clicking here.
PLEASE DIRECT LIYM INQUIRIES TO:Alison Messier, LIYM Coordinator 413-263-6828, ext. 426 TTY: 413-263-6835 E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org