Getting started with hoopla
hoopla is an innovative new service that has partnered with the Springfield City Library to bring you thousands of movies, television, music, and audiobook titles for free. There are no costs or hassles. All you need is a Springfield City Library card and a web browser, phone, or tablet.
From Hollywood blockbusters to best selling authors and artists, you’re sure to find something you’ll enjoy. But it’s not just the latest titles – hoopla also has an extensive catalog of educational materials, children’s titles, foreign films, and other hard-to-find content not offered anywhere else.
The hoopla web site and mobile apps are easy to use. We make an unlimited number of copies available to your library, so there are never any waiting lists. Start streaming immediately, or download a title to your phone or tablet for offline viewing later. We’ll return it for you at the end of the lending period, so there are never any late fees.
What you need:
- Valid Springfield City Library card in good standing
- Valid e-mail address
- PC, Mac or mobile device (iOS or Android 4.0+)
- Internet connection (all Springfield City Library locations offer free WiFi).
- First-time PC and Mac users will need to install the Widevine plug-in. You will be prompted to install this free program.
- Tablet, smartphone and mobile users will need to go to the Apple App store or Google Play store to download the free hoopla digital app.
How it works:
- All titles are available instantly, there are no holds and no waiting
- Items can be streamed on personal computers or temporarily downloaded onto mobile devices (useful when taking a device where Internet connectivity is uncertain).
- Loan periods:
- Movies & TV shows (most are 2+ years old) – 3 days
- Music albums – 7 days
- Audiobooks – 21 day
- Each cardholder can check out 12 items per month; counter resets on the first of each month.
- Unlimited play of checked out items during the lending period.
- Titles expire on the due date, so there’s nothing to return and no late fees.
- There are no renewals, but items may be immediately checked out again.
- All Springfield City Library cardholders have access to the full catalog. Parents are responsible for children’s use
- Go to hoopladigital.com or open your app.
- Read the terms and conditions and click or tap “agree.”
- Click or tap “Sign Up.”
- Select “Springfield City Library.”
- Enter your valid Springfield City Library card number (in good standing).
- You will not have to enter a PIN.
- Create an account with your e-mail address and a password of your choosing.
- Browse and check out some great titles!
- Visit hoopla’s YouTube page for short but helpful video tutorials, especially the overview and creating an account videos.
- Check out hoopla’s help page
- Ask a librarian
- Can I use hoopla in the library? You are not able to stream hoopla on library computers, but you can stream hoopla on your personal laptop or device in the library.
- Can I view titles offline? With the Apple or Android apps, you can temporarily download titles to view offline. If you watch on a computer, you will need an Internet connection for the entire playback.
- Does hoopla work on the Kindle Fire, XBox 360, PS3, Roku or Chromecast? At this time, hoopla does not currently support these devices/platforms. However, hoopla is working on increasing compatibility with more devices. Check back for updates.