Home & Family
Internet Help | Parenting | Safety | House & Home
- American Library Association Resources for Parents & Kids
- Afraid that your 10-year old knows more about the World Wide Web than you do? Worry no more. The ALA has prepared this site with tips and help for parents venturing into cyberspace. It provides annotated links to helpful sites for parents and caregivers.
- Librarians' Guide to Cyberspace
- Another great site from ALA which gives parents information about keeping the Web kid-friendly and safe for children.
- 700+ Great Sites for Kids
- Links to informative web sites in several subject areas for children and teens, chosen by librarians.
- FamiliesConnect - The Cybersite for Parents and Kids
- From the American Library Association.
- Includes kids' rules for online safety, guidelines for parents, and information about filtering software.
- Child Safety on the Information Highway
- From the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
- Parents Kids and Communications
- The FCC Parents Information Web Page, with information on V-chips, cable box locks, 900 number blocking and software filters.
- La Guia del Internet para Padres de Familia
- (Spanish version of "Parents Guide to the Internet") se creo para ayudar a los padres -- de cualquier nivel de habilidad tecnico -- a utilizar el mundo del Internet como una importante herrimienta educativa. La Guia proporciona a los padres una introduccion al Internet y sugiere como los padres pueden dar a sus ninos acceso a las maravillas del Internet, mientras protegerlos de los posibles riesgos.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- This rich site has guidelines for everything to do with childhood safety and health.
- Baby Center
- A host of valuable information for new parents, including the pros and cons of issues of continuing concern, such as: thumb or pacifier?, nurse or bottle-feed?, etc. Also includes a 5,000-name database to help in selecting the right name for a new baby.
- Care Guide
- Find names and telephone listings for child care and elder care providers and services in your community. Some entries include links to web pages with full information, including costs and services offered.
- Directory of Civic Engagement & Leadership Development Programs for Massachusetts Youth
- The Directory is a new and essential resource for introducing young people to a diverse array of civic education opportunities in the Commonwealth. The listed programs greatly expand young people's choices for learning about the electoral and political processes, leadership, and community activism. Published by the League of Women Voters of Massachusetts.
- A directory of baby naming resources on the Internet. Includes several good parenting resources as well.
- Etymology of Names
- Want to find out the history of your first name or look for ideas for naming the new baby? Get a list of popular names by year or good names for twins? You will find all that here. A great resource. For more links to sites on the history and linguistics of personal names and surnames, visit Eponym .
- Resources for Children Experiencing Grief
- A selection of books, suitable by grade, for preschool children through teens who are experiencing grief due to the loss or illness of a loved one. Includes online and other resources for adults and educators.
- Dr. Toy's Guide
- Check here for the 100 best toys of this year and previous years, as chosen and annotated by Dr. Stevanne Auerbach, a professional educator and child psychologist. Includes tips for play for families and kids, and sections in French and Spanish.
- Faces of Adoption: America's Waiting Children
- Sponsored by the National Adoption Center (NAC), this is a database of special needs children living in foster homes or group care, waiting for adoption. Also includes general information on adoption and links to other sites. Also, visit the Massachusetts Adoption Resource Center , at the Massachusetts Department of Social Services.
- La Leche League International
- Everything you need to know about successful breastfeeding. Includes contact information for local chapters.
- Tufts University Child & Family Webguide
- A directory of excellent resources in the areas of education and learning, health and mental health, parenting, childcare, and child development, from the Department of Child Development at Tufts.
- Family Law Advisor
- Covers adoption, divorce, custody, stepfamilies, grandparents' rights, and more; includes state and local resources, and a page devoted to Massachusetts law .
- Massachusetts Child Passenger Safety Law
- Here are the details of how children should be buckled properly and safely into a car. If you need help installing car seats, call one of the Child Passenger Safety Technicians in your area.
House & Home
- Bob Vila's Home Improvement Library
- Articles and how-to videos on home repairs, remodeling and home finance.
- A selection of calculators to help your decision-making when buying, selling or remortgaging a home or relocating. A salary calculator estimates how much money you'd need to make in a new location to equal your present salary; there are also mortgage and relocation calculators along with other helpful tools.
- Massachusetts Department of Public Safety
- Information for homeowners on professional inspectors and investigators, licenses and registrations, district offices, and links to the Board of Building Regulations and Standards and the Executive Office of Public Safety.