Greater Springfield and Western Massachusetts
Town and City Attractions:
- The Big E
- Home page for the great Eastern States Exposition, ninth largest fair in North America. Besides information about the annual fair, the page includes a calendar of events held during the year at the Exposition grounds in West Springfield.
- Brass Players Museum
- Located in Springfield. Individuals interested in Antique Brass Instruments or brass players are invited to visit and "try out" some of the museum's antique instruments. The museum features over 90 various instruments. The website includes contact information for appointments to visit the museum.
- CityStage and Springfield Symphony Hall
- Schedules and other information for Springfield's performing arts venues.
- Greater Springfield Convention & Visitors Bureau
- The Valley Visitor site includes maps, a visitor's guide, a media guide, and much more for tourists and convention attendees in Springfield and the Pioneer Valley.
- Houses of Springfield
- Old WPA photographs, postcards, house plans, and more, highlighting some of the beautiful old architecture in The City of Homes. Hosted by Ralph Slate of Springfield.
- Springfield Symphony Orchestra
- Events calendar for Springfield's professional orchestra, including the Summer Pops programs at Stanley Park.
- Extensive coverage of Springfield and Western Massachusetts from the local newspaper the Springfield Republican (formerly Springfield Union-News & Sunday Republican) , including news and weather, arts & entertainment listings, sports and business coverage, and interactive online forums for discussion of issues of local interest. For the online archives of the Springfield Republican, visit our Electronic Databases page (Western Mass. library card required).
- Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
- Springfield's leading tourist destination is now on the Web.
- Six Flags New England
- New England's largest family amusement park, located in Agawam.
- Spirit of Springfield
- Organization responsible for sponsoring many downtown and city-wide events in Springfield, including Taste of Springfield, Bright Nights, the Balloon Parade, New Year festivities, Star Spangled Springfield, and more.
- Springfield Armor
- Springfield's NBA development league team. Check out the team, stats, schedule, tickets and more.
- Springfield Armory National Historic Site
- Visit the nation's first armory! A Collections Database is available, offering a powerful search engine to access curatorial information and selected images and archives from the museum's extensive collection of firearms.
- Springfield Chess Club
- Information about upcoming events, tournaments, membership and more.
- Springfield Falcons
- Springfield's professional hockey team; check here for team stats, rosters, profiles, tickets, schedules, the Falcon store and more.
- Springfield, Massachusetts: History and Genealogy
- Various online resources concerning the history of Springfield, including a history of the "Old High School," some high school yearbooks, Springfield cemeteries, Springfield officials, and much more. From the Rootsweb genealogy community.
- Springfield, Massachusetts: Old Photographs
- Interesting website from Dick Bolt, with many old photographs and postcards of Springfield locations, people, vehicles and more.
- Springfield Museums at the Quadrangle
- Homepage for the museums located on the Quadrangle on State Street, including the Museum of Fine Arts, the George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, the Science Museum, the Museum of Springfield History, and the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum.
- Springfield Parks and Recreation Department
- Check here for information on city parks, a downloadable summer activities guide for children and youth, Bright Nights, tennis leagues, swimming, and much more.
- Springfield Stars Club
- The local astronomy club has its own website, with a schedule of events including programs at the Springfield Science Museum , and other astronomical information and links.
- Titanic Historical Society
- The oldest Titanic memorial society in the U.S. is located in Indian Orchard, Massachusetts. This site includes information on the Society's museum and its Journal.
- Valley Advocate
- The Pioneer Valley's alternative newspaper. Includes information on upcoming arts and entertainment events.
- Zoo in Forest Park
- Program information and other facts about the zoo in Springfield's beautiful Forest Park.
- Berkshires Week
- Online magazine focusing on the arts, nightlife, and activities in the beautiful Berkshires of western Massachusetts.
- Brattleboro (VT) Literary Festival A
- nnual three-day celebration of the literary arts in downtown Brattleboro, Vermont, held in October.
- CISA: Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture
- Check here for local farmers markets in Western Mass., a farm products guide, news and other resources for supporting locally grown agricultural products. Sponsored by CISA, a community organization dedicated to sustaining agriculture in Western Massachusetts by strengthening the relationships between farmers and consumers.
- Connecticut River Homepage
- Investigate the history, biology and geology of New England's longest river. From the UMass-Amherst Biology Department.
- Digital Amherst
- Utilizing the historical and literary resources of the Jones Library of Amherst, Massachusetts, in collaboration with area residents and scholars, this site celebrates Amherst's 250th anniversary through images, multimedia, and documents.
- Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art
- The first full-scale museum in America devoted to national and international picture book art, conceived and built with the aim of celebrating the art that we are first exposed to as children. Located in Amherst, MA.
- Exploring Western Massachusetts
- A local blog where you'll find vintage postcards and ephemera, photographs, old advertisements, anecdotes and original essays, all with an eye on the wild west of the Bay State.
- Franklin County Publication Archive Index
- Ongoing project to index the Greenfield Courier & Gazette newspaper and other historical Franklin County publications.
- GazetteNET: Daily Hampshire Gazette Online
- Covers news, activities, entertainment, dining, and more for the Pioneer Valley.
- Hampden County, Massachusetts Local History
- Part of the American History Local Network. Includes links and some records.
- Hampshire Hills Bed and Breakfast Association
- Includes a member directory, things to see and do in beautiful Western Massachusetts, links to area attractions, and a section on the 'eight B&B seasons of the Hampshire Hills'.
- Historic Holyoke Page
- Includes a timeline, historic engravings and photographs, maps, and selections from histories of the City of Holyoke. Includes newly-added information on Mt. Tom and the Mt. Tom Railroad and other fascinating glimpses back at the first pre-planned industrial city in the United States.
- Find your way around the beautiful Berkshires and see what's happening in that part of Massachusetts. Full of information on local attractions, dining, lodging and resources in individual towns.
- Historic Deerfield
- Historic Deerfield is a museum of New England history and art within the carefully preserved 330-year-old western Massachusetts village of Deerfield. This site gives information about planning a visit, the history of the village, the museum shop and tours, and much more.
- Jewish Historical Society of Western Massachusetts
- Provides a resource facility for research on Jewish life and activities in Western Massachusetts. Includes histories of congregations, photos, and more.
- Lupa Zoo
- Lupazoo, located in Ludlow MA., is a conservation and education institution demonstrating the value, beauty and interdependence of all living things, managed and operated by Lupa Game Farm Inc.
- Massachusetts Local History and Genealogy
- An extensive directory of links to history and genealogy resources for cities and towns in Massachusetts, broken down by county or by category. Provided by Ann Mensch as an aid to genealogists and local historians.
- Website of the Massachusetts Dept. of Food & Agriculture. Includes information on pick-your-own farms; farms, markets and specialty products; wholesale growers; farmers' markets; and farm web sites for consumers, as well as events, funding and grants, publications, regulations, statistics and more.
- Mass Moments
- An electronic almanac of Masssachusetts history. Visitors can choose to listen to a one-minute audio spot or read the script, and then explore the story further by reading a background essay and clicking on a primary source document, links to follow, and places to visit.
- Mass Vacation
- Places to go, sites to see, things to do throughout the Bay State. Explore by region and start your Staycation right here! From the Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism.
- Memorial Hall Museum at Old Deerfield
- Located in the picturesque 330-year-old village of Deerfield, the museum's extraordinary collection of furnishings, paintings, textiles and Indian artifacts is "the finest collection of local antiquities in New England and one of America's oldest museums." And don't miss the museum's fascinating online exhibit,American Centuries...view from New England, which features a digital collection of approximately 1,800 objects and transcribed document pages, and includes curriculum aids for teachers, activities for students, and much more. From the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield, Massachusetts.
- Mohawk Trail Association
- Comprehensive guide to one of the loveliest spots in Massachusetts, including maps, directions, weather, state parks and forests, directories of attractions, shops, sports and recreation, lodgings, restaurants, and much more.
- Check out what's happening in arts and entertainment and link to other sites in Northampton.
- Norman Rockwell Museum at Stockbridge
- Celebrating the legacy of one of America's most popular artists, particularly remembered for his many Life magazine covers.
- Old Sturbridge Village
- Take a virtual tour of an 1830s village, a popular tourist attraction in Western Massachusetts. Includes a calendar of events, visitor information, the gift shop, and a special page for kids.
- Pioneer Valley History Network
- The Pioneer Valley of western Massachusetts is rich with historical resources. Browse the database to find the small museums, archives, and historical societies in the area.
- Westfield on Weekends
- Local activities, festivals, and other community events in one of the leading cities in our region.
- Affiliated Chambers of Commerce of Greater Springfield
- Includes news, staff members, membership directory and other resources for businesses and consumers in the Greater Springfield area.
- Armoury Quadrangle Civic Association
- (AQCA) AQCA is an all-volunteer, nonprofit organization that represents residents and businesses in the Armoury-Quadrangle neighborhood of downtown Springfield.
- Better Business Bureau of Central New England
- Company reports, complaint filing options, membership lists, and more from the BBB, located in Worcester. Covers western and central Massachusetts and northeastern Connecticut.
- BusinessWest Online
- Sections of the Western Mass. business journal available online, including the latest bankruptcy filings, DBA certificates, incorporations, building permits, and real estate transactions.
- C/WMARS: Community Information Online
- Searchable listings for agencies, services, and organizations that serve a significant public need in communities in Central and Western Mass. served by the C/WMARS library network.
- Christ Church Cathedral, Springfield MA
- Home page of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Massachusetts.
- Connecticut River Watershed Council
- Homepage of the citizen's advocacy group for the environmental well-being of the Connecticut River. A watershed map and history, the story of the Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge and current news about happenings on and around the river are included. See also the EPA's American Heritage Rivers page on the Connecticut River .
- Connect and Serve: Massachusetts Volunteer Portal
- Connect and Serve was developed in collaboration with the Governor's office in an effort to increase volunteering across the Commonwealth. Although this is a statewide initiative, the focus is local, so that no matter where an individual lives, he or she may find volunteer opportunities close to home. Any nonprofit agency, school, governmental agency, city, or town, can post one-time and on-going volunteer opportunities on the website for potential volunteers to search.
- Dakin Pioneer Valley Humane Society
- Visit the shelter at 171 Union Street in Springfield, and check on volunteer opportunities and other information. Includes information about adoptable animals. Housed in the former MSPCA building.
- Diocese of Springfield MA
- Home page of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield, which covers the four western counties of Massachusetts.
- Forest Park Civic Association
- Information about the local civic organization for one of the oldest Springfield neighborhoods.
- Check out this site if you are unemployed or contemplating a career or job change. The folks at FutureWorks in Springfield, a government-funded program to aid in job transition, can help you make the career choices you need today, including resume preparation, interviewing, computer skills, and job counseling.
- Greater Springfield Senior Services
- Provides information about various programs offered to local seniors, including home care, Meals on Wheels, aid for elder abuse, volunteer opportunities, and more.
- Jobs in the Valley
- Job postings for the Pioneer Valley region.
- The web site of the Town of Longmeadow includes local history, maps, government and school information, a tax assessment database and links to the library and other organizations.
- Mass 211: Statewide Community Resources
- Mass 2-1-1 online directory is an information resource for emergency food, rent, help paying your heating and utility bills, mental health counseling, health programs, public health and safety services, child care referrals, job resources, and other help for individuals, parents and families.
- Massachusetts Performers and Programs Directory
- Provided as a service to the librarians in Massachusetts through a joint effort of the Massachusetts Regional Library Systems. The directory is designed and maintained by the Southeastern Massachusetts Library System.
- MassHome: Your Online Guide to Massachusetts
- This 'unofficial' website provides extensive links to history and trivia, libraries, museums, historical and other organizations, banks and businesses, and much more.
- Extensive coverage of Springfield and Western Massachusetts from the local newspaper the Springfield Republican (formerly Springfield Union-News & Sunday Republican) , including news and weather, arts & entertainment listings, sports and business coverage, and interactive online forums for discussion of issues of local interest. For an (incomplete) online index to the Springfield newspapers from 1877 - 1963, click here. Please note that the library does not have access to the online archives prior to 1988.
- A free online resource for Massachusetts residents in need of housing, food, health care, and other basic services. It provides information on what benefits are available, how to apply, eligibility requirements, benefit amounts, and answers to commonly asked questions.
- Massachusetts Center for the Book
- Affiliated with the Center for the Book at the Library of Congress, this organization promotes reading and literacy and hosts the annual Massachusetts Book Awards.
- Homepage of the Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group, a watchdog group which seeks to protect the environment and the health of the residents of the Commonwealth.
- Massachusetts Regional Centers for Healthy Communities
- The Regional Centers for Healthy Communities are health education resource centers located throughout the Commonwealth, funded by the Department of Public Health. The Western Massachusetts Center is located at 489 Whitney Ave., 2nd Floor, Holyoke, MA 01040 . Search the Resource Library Catalog for books, pamphlets, videos, and other learning materials.
- Montague's Community website with corkboards, business listings, event calendar, local organization news and postings, local resource listings.
- PVTA: Pioneer Valley Transit Authority
- Check here for schedules and maps, news and resources for the local bus and transportation company.
- Peter Pan Bus Lines
- Major transportation carrier for Western Massachusetts and New England, headquartered in Springfield.
- Realtor Association of Pioneer Valley
- Information for the general public on buying a house, locating a realtor, or finding descriptive information on communities in Western Massachusetts; includes a searchable database of homes for sale in Western Massachusetts.
- The Reminder ONLINE
- The Reminder newspaper has its own website, with news of interest to Springfield and its surrounding towns, classifieds, links to other sites of interest, and interactive community bulletin boards for activities in Greater Springfield, East Longmeadow, Hampden, Longmeadow and Wilbraham.
- Sixteen Acres Civic Association I
- nformation about the neighborhood association in Springfield.
- Springfield Downtown
- Site of the Springfield Business Improvement District, including events in downtown Springfield, demographics, an interactive map, and more. Requires the Flash plug-in for some sections.
- Springfield Enterprenurial Institute
- Located at the Springfield Technical Community College Library, the purpose of the Springfield Enterprenurial Institute is to enhance the economic development of the Pioneer Valley by providing nascent entrepreneurs with the opportunity to experience what it's like to be in business for themselves, but still have a team of advisors guiding them.
- Springfield GIS
- Geographic Information System for Springfield property. Check out aerial views, wetland status, and zoning.
- A virtual Historical Society for Springfield, MA. We will present stories about Springfield's history, advocate for historical preservation, and provide a place for users to contribute their own knowledge of Springfield's past.
- Springfield Institute
- The Springfield Institute exists to bring fresh perspectives, raise the level of debate, broaden participation in the debate, support community groups, and contribute to urban transformation.
- Springfield SeniorNet Learning Center
- Located at the Good Life Center on East Columbus Aveune, SeniorNet provides computer training and other technology assistance for local seniors. Check with these folks for computer classes, a computer club, tips and more.
- Springfield Mass. City Ordinances
- Online access to Springfield municipal ordinances. In PDF format. Searchable.
- Springfield Mass: Neighborhood Services
- A listing of Springfield's neighborhoods, with links to neighborhood councils where available.
- Springfield Public Forum
- The Springfield Public Forum, an annual event held every Fall at Springfield Symphony Hall, is the last surviving lecture series in the nation that is still offered at no charge to the public. The Springfield Public Forum brings an incredible array of celebrity journalists, authors, political commentators, environmentalists, health experts and financial advisors to our community each year. The site includes this year's schedule of speakers and information about membership.
- Springfield School Volunteers
- Springfield School Volunteers is a non-profit organization dedicated for 33 years to marshalling the resources of the community to benefit the teachers, principals and children of the Springfield Public Schools. Springfield School Volunteers welcomes people who care about children and have anywhere from an hour a week to an hour a year to help children learn.
- Thomas J O'Connor Animal Control & Adoption Center
- Provides animal control services for Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee, West Springfield and Hampden. Animal control officers respond to routine service calls Monday through Friday 8am-5pm. Emergency response for ill, injured or aggressive animals is available 24 hours a day. Located at 627 Cottage Street in Springfield, phone: 413-781-1484.
- WGBY Education and Outreach
- A professional development resource center for Massachusetts educators housed in WGBY's downtown Springfield offices, offering comprehensive K-12 technology training in a 26-station dual-platform computer lab, a software preview and evaluation library, and a wide assortment of PBS videos and teaching resources. Don't miss the Video Lending Library for Western Mass. educators.
- United Way of Pioneer Valley
- Home page of the umbrella organization for charity and volunteerism in Western Mass.
- YMCA of Greater Springfield
- The YMCA of Greater Springfield serve the towns of: Agawam, Chicopee, East Longmeadow, Hampden, East Longmeadow, Ludlow, Monson, Palmer, Springfield, West Springfield & Wilbraham.
- YWCA of Western Massachusetts
- Programs, volunteer opportunities, membership information, and more.
- City of Springfield, MA
- Springfield's official home page. Information on the Mayor and members of the City Council, the Police Department, the Department of Public Works, and city job postings. Also local information and links to other sites.
- Springfield Assessor's Office
- Search the Springfield Assessor's database for commercial and residential property cards with building information and current assessment. Search by owner name, property address, or Parcel ID number.
- Community Profile for Springfield, Massachusetts
- From ePodunk.com
- Springfield Planning and Economic Development Department
- Downloadable forms, Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regs, and information about the Historical Commission -- all now online.
- Springfield Police Department
- News, Most Wanted lists, community policing and other information.
- Springfield DPW
- Information from the Springfield Department of Public Works, on trash collection, pothole repair reporting, traffic, and more.
- Commonwealth Communities
- Check here for a wealth of information about cities and towns in Massachusetts, including community profiles, Department of Revenue statistics, demographics, school profiles, information from other state agencies and links to local informational sites. From the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website.
- Massachusetts General Court
- Information on the Massachusetts legislature including alphabetical directories of the members of the Senate and House of Representatives, with biographical and contact information. Also available is a directory listing state senators and representatives by city or town.
- Massachusetts Municipal Association
- Nonprofit, nonpartisan organization which represents the cities and towns of Massachusetts.
- Office of U. S. Senator Scott Brown
Office of U.S. Senator John Kerry
Office of U. S. Rep. Richard Neal
Office of U. S. Rep. John Olver
Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
- Home page for the regional economic development agency. Learn about ongoing projects, meet the staff or read the online newsletter.
- Where Do I Vote?
- Fill in your home address on the online form to determine your ward and precinct and polling place for municipal, state, and federal elections.
Libraries, Schools and Colleges:
- Springfield Library Catalog
- Includes search capabilities for the catalogs of participating libraries in the Central and Western Mass. Resource Sharing System (C/WMARS). Cardholders may login to check their library accounts and renew items.
- Cooperating Libraries of Greater Springfield
- A consortium of academic and public libraries in the Greater Springfield area. Check here for links to member libraries and recommended academic websites.
- Five Colleges Libraries Catalog
- Search the library catalog shared by UMass., Amherst, Hampshire, Mt. Holyoke and Smith Colleges. Search all five at once, or limit to one school at a time. You can search by author, title, subject or keyword.
- Massachusetts Library Directory
- Database of homepages for public, academic, school and special libraries throughout Massachusetts. From the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
- MBLC: Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
- This site provides information on libraries and library planning throughout the Commonwealth, links to library homepages and catalogs, and access to periodical indexes and union lists of magazines and journals, electronic databases, the Virtual Catalog, and much more.
Springfield and Area Schools:
- School and School District Profiles
- Database of profiles of schools and school districts throughout the Commonwealth maintained by the Department of Education.
- Springfield School District Profile
- Profile for the Springfield public school district, with links to staff, enrollment, test results, finances and more.
- Springfield Public Schools
- Links to individual public schools and other information about the Springfield public school system. ESL:
- English as a Second Language Classes
- A list of free ESL classes offered by organizations in Springfield.
Springfield and Area Colleges:
- Massachusetts Mentor
- Information about colleges and universities throughout Massachusetts, with campus tours, online admissions, financial aid, student planners and other helpful resources.
- American International College
Bay Path College
Greenfield Community College
Holyoke Community College
Mount Holyoke College
Springfield Technical Community College
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Western New England College
Western New England College School of Law
Westfield State College
Note: If you have suggestions for local links to be added to this page, please use our Feedback page.