Entertainment & the Arts
General Resources | Museums & the Visual Arts | General Performance | Dance | Music
Theater | TV, Movies & Video
- Arts Journal
- A weekday digest of some of the best arts and cultural journalism. Each day Arts Journal combs through more than 180 English-language newspapers, magazines and publications featuring writing about arts and culture, dance, music, media, publishing, theater and the visual arts.
- Arts Resources on the World Wide Web
- Extensive links for all matters related to the arts, including the visual arts, music & sound recordings, movies, video, TV, theater, dance, and copyright, including a special section on the arts in Western Massachusetts. From Forbes Library in Northampton MA.
- Artslynx International Arts Resources
- A well-organized arts metasite with pages on visual arts, music, dance, theatre, film, writing, arts education and advocacy.
- Greater Hartford Arts Council
- Grants, education and outreach projects, calendar of events, and visiting artists.
- Massachusetts Cultural Council
- Grants, education, events, links to local cultural councils and other organizations offering grants.
- World Wide Arts Resources
- A gateway which offers access to sites around the world concerned with the arts. Includes an artist's index, museum and gallery guides, commercial and performing arts, education and history, architecture, dance, film, and the list goes on. Highly recommended.
- VSA Arts of Massachusetts
- Serving individuals with disabilities by creating opportunities for participation in the arts and integration into the cultural and educational mainstream of our communities. Browse upcoming events, news, and featured artists.
Museums and the Visual Arts
- Your guide to museum-quality art on the Internet. Search for your favorite artist or browse the alphabetical index to access online exhibits of artwork from museums, galleries and other sources.
- An 'artist's bluebook' containing information on more than 24,000 American artists, including, where available, artist profiles and biographies, images, auction records, dealers, museums holding artworks, and monograph and periodical references.
- WWW Virtual Library: Museums
- Search for museums, exhibitions or information pertaining to the arts by location, institution name, or subject matter.
- Museum Sites Online
- Links to over 1000 American and international museum and museum-related websites.
- Searchable directory of museums around the world, from art and cultural organizations, to natural history, sports, technology, and medicine. Includes a search engine for events and exhibitions, and breaking news.
- Springfield Museums
- Museum of Fine Arts, George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, Springfield Science Museum, and Museum of Springfield History.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Information on the Museum, its collection and its special exhibits.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Tour the Metropolitan Museum by clicking on the map of the floor plan to find out about its collections.
- Timeline of Art History
- Provides an overview of the history of art as illustrated and represented in the Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection. Still under construction, the site now covers the period from prehistory to 500 AD.
- MoMA: The Museum of Modern Art
- Sample the Museum of Modern Art's collection or read information about the current special exhibits including biographies of the artists.
- The National Gallery of Art
- A truly beautiful site, the National Gallery provides information on current exhibitions, guided virtual tours of the collections, and a powerful search engine which allows you to view artworks in the museum, along with biographies of the artists, essays on the work, provenance and other details. Includes a gallery shop and other information on visiting the museum. A stunning use of technology that brings the Gallery to your desktop.
- Smithsonian Institution
- Travel here to explore the wonders of the Smithsonian. Descriptions of the many museums and exhibits are given in French, Spanish and German as well as English. Take time to explore some of the resources of this National Treasure.
- Drawing Cartoons Theme Page
- A directory of links to lesson plans, study guides, cartoons, animation, and other resources for the budding cartoonist.
- The Bushnell
- A performing arts center in Hartford's historic theater. Performance and gallery calendar, tickets, seating chart, educational programs.
- BAM: Brooklyn Academy of Music
- BAM presents classic and avant-garde performances in dance, music, film, and theater. It is also the home of the "Brooklyn Philharmonic (a first-rate orchestra with more adventurous programming than the NY Philharmonic) and the Next Wave Festival."
- Festival Finder
- More than 20,000 festivals around the world are indexed here with dates, descriptions, and other information. You may search by a festival name, keyword, or geographic area.
- Five College Calendar of Events
- Music, dance, theatre, art, sports, film, lectures, etc. at the five colleges. Calendar can be searched and sorted by event type.
- Iron Horse Entertainment Group
- Performance calendars for the Iron Horse Music hall, the Calvin Theater & Performing Arts Center, and Pearl Street Nightclub. All located in Northampton. L
- incoln Center for the Performing Arts
- Music, dance, theatre, film and more in our nation's capital.
- Jorgensen Auditorium
- A performance space at the University of Connecticut, Storrs.
- Artslynx International Dance Resources
- An impressive and comprehensive dance site. Includes links to African dance, ballet, mime, journals, history, competitions, choreographer bios, jobs and much, much more.
- American Ballet Theatre
- Season schedule, ABT's dancer biographies, ballet news, jobs and classes. The site also offers a ballet dictionary with video clips, though you must have the quicktime plug-in to view them.
- Boston Ballet
- Schedule and ticket information, Sightline magazine articles, class schedules, and Boston Ballet shop.
- Jacob's Pillow
- A summer dance festival in Becket, MA. This site has information on the dance school, internships and jobs, performances and free events, exhibits and dance archives.
- Massachusetts Youth Ballet
- Located in Hopkinton, MA. Calendar, classes, events, links.
- New York City Ballet
- In addition to the usual schedule and ticket information, this site includes links to the repertory and dances, information for children, a reference area, the online gift shop, patron programs and more.
- All Music Guide
- Essential music reference site. Includes artist bios and discographies; essays and articles on music forms from rock, jazz and reggae to bluegrass, New Age and gospel; music maps and glossary; and much, much more.
- Billboard Online
- Tune in here to find out what's hot in the music world, whether your interest is rap, country, alternative rock, classical or concert performances. Feature articles cover diverse topics, and "This Day In Music" highlights music news from past years.
- A popular music/songwriter site. Deals with copyright, news, events, film and T.V. music, and history. Includes biographies and links to other sites.
- Classical Net
- This site offers a wealth of information on composers, scores, and reviews plus a guide to building your own classical collection.
- Essentials of Music
- Whether you're a casual listener or a serious music student, here's the site for basic information about classical music. Created by Sony Music and W.W. Norton & Company, it includes an overview of musical eras, short biographies of important composers, and a glossary of music terms, illustrated by over 200 short extracts of music from the Essential Classics series (which requires the RealAudio player to be installed).
- Lied and Song Texts Page
- An archive of texts to lieder and other classical vocal pieces. Use the keyword search facility or browse by composer, poet, language, first line or title.
- Free Sheet Music
- A long list (broken down into several sections) of links to sites around the world offering free, downloadable, sheet music. You may have to do some hunting, but there's a lot here.
- Online sheet music superstore.
- Provides links for free classical music scores and other resources.
- A classical music magazine, including Gramofile , a database of classical recordings reviews and audio equipment reviews. Includes awards, news, and chat.
- Music Search
- This site is a gateway to a collection of music sites arranged by performer, genre, instrument, etc. It covers all types of music and is searchable.
- This is THE place for anything to do with opera. Links to information about composers, opera companies and opera people, and operas, including libretti, performance histories, source texts, discographies and more.
- Pollstar Concert Listings
- Want to know who's playing at the Iron Horse or Geraldine's? Check here for local concerts and music venues. You can search by artist, city or venue. Note: when searching by city, type in only the city name not the state; when the drop-down menu appears, select the appropriate city and preferred dates, then click on Show Dates. The search form allows you to obtain information from nearby cities.
- Song Lyrics
- A list of links to worldwide Internet music resources with online lyrics.
- The Ultimate Band List
- A super collection of links to bands and band members, with short artist bios, links to related artists, music news, a listening room and much more.
- Springfield Symphony Orchestra
- Events calendar for Springfield's professional orchestra, including the Summer Pops programs at Stanley Park.
- Amherst College Concerts
- Classical, jazz, and new music.
- Boston Early Music Festival
- Concert listings and festival information.
- Boston Lyric Opera
- Schedule, tickets, education, special events, and opera links.
- Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Schedules for the BSO and Tanglewood, ticket information, and more.
- Connecticut Grand Opera & Orchestra
- Season schedule, tickets, directions, audition information, and selected links.
- Connecticut Opera
- Schedules and contact information.
- Handel & Haydn Society
- From Boston, a period orchestra and chorus. Concert listings, educational outreach, apprenticeship program.
- The Metropolitan Opera
- Schedule, tickets, broadcast information, stories behind the operas, and the history of the Met.
- Mohawk Trail Concerts
- Summer classical concerts performed at Smith College's Hills Chapel in Northampton or in the Federated Church in Charlemont, MA
- Music Mountain
- This is the oldest continuing Summer Chamber Music Festival in the US. Located in Falls village, CT.
- Musicorda Festival and Summer String Program
- Musicorda presents concerts and offers lessons. Their goal is to connect kids and artists internationally through programs such as the Children's String Quartet.
- New York Philharmonic
- Check out schedules and ticket information, visit the e-store, or drop into the Kids' Zone, an interactive site for children to learn about music.
- ProArte Chamber Orchestra of Boston
- Home page of the cooperative professional orchestra, including concert schedules and ticket information.
- Artslynx International Theatre Resources
- Links to theatre awards, history pages, dramaturgy, costuming, set design, puppetry, jobs, children's theatre, and much, much more.
- Theatre news, feature articles, casting calls, listings for Broadway, Off-Broadway, Regional theatres and more.
- Theater Mirror
- Visit here to find out what plays are being produced throughout New England. Includes openings, previews, criticism, and coming attractions.
- Berkshire Theatre Festival
- Season schedule, apprenticeship progam, and internships of this summer stock theatre company located in Stockbridge, MA.
- City Stage
- Season schedule and ticket information. Located in Springfield.
- Goodspeed Opera House
- Musical theatre and musical theatre research library in East Haddam, CT.
- The Public Theater
- Also home of the New York Shakespeare Festival, the Public Theater produces Broadway shows, new plays and offers classical acting training. It encourages new voices and promotes theater by offering free performances in Central Park. The site provides a history, performance calendar, employment and internship opportunities.
- Shakespeare & Company
- Performances, education, training, and photo gallery. Located in Lenox, MA.
- UMASS Theater
- Season schedule includes touring companies and student productions.
- Williamstown Theatre Festival
- Season schedule, apprenticeship progam, and internships at this summer stock theatre company in Williamstown, MA.
TV, Movies & Video
- Internet Movie Database
- The megasite for all things cinematic. Check here for cast and credit information for movies, links to reviews and background information, and short biographies of film professionals. Advanced search features include quotes, trivia, plot summaries, remakes, and literary sources.
- All Movie Guide
- Partner site to the All Music Guide , another searchable mega-site of films (and film personnel) new and old. Includes movie ratings and searchable "tags" assigned to each film (genre, tone, theme, keyword, and mood).
- Big Cartoon Database
- Need to know all the cartoons Bugs Bunny appeared in? Here's the place to look -- the Encyclopedia of Cartoon Facts a searchable database of cartoon shorts and animation. Includes production details and synopses of series and individual cartoons. Browse by studio or use the search engine.
- Online encyclopedia with entries for characters in comic books, comic strips, and cartoons. Includes information on production details, writers, artists, and studios.
- What A Character!
- THE site to answer those questions about character actors so famous you can't remember their names. Browse through photos of those 'faces you can't forget' for brief bios and lists of film and TV appearances. Includes a search function, news and trivia, and an e-mail newsletter.
- Classics from the Silver Screen
- An index of classical and opera music used in feature films, listed alphabetically by movie.
- Short name for a great site. Search or browse here for episode guides to your favorite TV shows, both current and old favorites. Includes links to other TV sites.
- Movie Review Query Engine
- Check here for reviews, by professional critics and non-professionals, of more than 19,000 films, from current releases to classics of yesteryear.
- Rotten Tomatoes Movie Reviews
- This site brings together in one place online reviews for films currently in theatrical release. Link here to reviews by the New York Times , Entertainment Weekly , and many more mainstream sources, as well as to notices from less well-known sites, and personal reviews too. Check it out before making your movie plans for the weekend!
- Based on the Book
- A compilation of over 1,000 book titles, short stories, and plays that have been made into motion pictures, released since 1980. From the Mid-Continent Public Library in Missouri.