Government Sites | Other Resources
- Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs & Business Regulation
- The state's watchdog agency has a helpful website for Massachusetts consumers, including a complaint filing process, fraud alerts and reports on ongoing investigations, online publications concerning topics such as the Lemon Law, landlord-tenant, and small claims, and access to information about the state's regulatory divisions.
- Mass 211: Statewide Community Resources
- Mass 2-1-1 online directory is an information resource for emergency food, rent, help paying your heating and utility bills, mental health counseling, health programs, public health and safety services, child care referrals, job resources, and other help for individuals, parents and families.
- U.S. Consumer Gateway
- A helpful site which serves as a one-stop gateway to the consumer resources of the Federal Government. Broken down by subject, and searchable, the site offers easy access to the consumer divisions of Federal agencies, reports and consumer tips, as well as special interest articles and scam or safety alerts.
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Division
- Recall notices, safety tips for kids and families, and other information. Some pages are available in Spanish.
- U.S. Consumer Information Center
- Full-text of hundreds of Federal consumer publications, together with links to consumer resources available only on the Web, and to the Consumer's Resources Handbook, available in several formats. Includes a guide to Federal Government Sales
- Annual Credit Report
- This central site allows you to request a free credit file disclosure , commonly called a credit report, once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. Also provides information about ordering credit reports by phone or mail.
- Appliance 411
- Helpful tips about major appliances -- purchasing, home service, repair parts for the DIYer, and more.
- Autotropolis.com is dedicated to consumers who are researching and buying new or used vehicles. The site provides interactive tools for car shoppers to complete their research.
- A comparison search engine designed to help consumers doing product research on the web. Also has a "Nearby Stores" feature that allows users to plug in a zip code and get store names, addresses, phone numbers, hours and Maps.
- The Better Business Bureau Central Web Server for U.S. and Canada
- Check this site for fraud alerts, updated consumer information, and links to other sites for the savvy consumer. Includes links to local Bureau offices and websites where available.
- Consumer Reports Online T
- he free sections of this site include selected articles from Consumer Reports magazine for the last two years in nine categories from cars & trucks to personal and leisure purchases, lists of recent product recalls, and a manufacturer locator. Additional articles and services are available with a paid subscription. Also available is a companion site, Consumers Union, an advocacy group for consumers which includes full-text articles on product safety, health and finance issues, with a section in Spanish.
- Before you make your next purchase, check this site out! ConsumerSearch analyzes product reviews from many online sources, in order to identify the best products. Links to original review sites and for further research are provided.
- E-Cycling Central
- Find reuse, recycling, and donation programs across the country for electronic waste.
- Edmunds Car Prices
- Looking for a new or used car? Check here first for reviews of new vehicles, extensive product information, and a search engine to check on trade-in and suggested retail prices for older cars.
- Guidestar: The Donor's Guide to Charities and Non-profits
- Provides a searchable database with information on the programs and finances of over 600,000 American charities and non-profit associations. Relies on data from the Internal Revenue Service as well as other material. Includes news, reports and other resources for potential donors and volunteers. Requires free registration for some content.
- A selection of calculators to help your decision-making when buying or selling a home or relocating. A salary calculator estimates how much money you'd need to make in a new location to equal your present salary; there are also mortgage and relocation calculators along with other helpful tools.